As the Associate Director of Alliance Management and Business Development, you will direct Beam’s alliance management business development activities. The ideal candidate will be a hands-on professional with strong partnering and alliance management experience. Collaborations are a key component of Beam’s overall growth strategy and the Associate Director will drive management, execution, and potential extension of the company’s partnerships. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven individual looking for a broad-based experience in a fast-paced, dynamic, biotech start-up environment. This is a position with significant exposure across the organization, directly reporting to the Vice President, Head of Business Development and Strategy.
- Build trust and effective relationships with cross-functional stakeholders including Beam Therapeutic senior management and external partner governance members.
- Facilitate existing industry and academic partnerships, ensuring effective execution and progress toward mutually defined goals.
- Lead governance activities and key management meetings, communicating critical issues, defining procedures for decision making, managing disputes, and ensuring appropriate data exchange.
- Advise senior management and collaboration participants on contract implementation, amendments and expansions.
- Provide recommendations and guidance and ensure robust and efficient decision-making processes.
- In conjunction with IP/legal/finance leadership at Beam, manage fulfillment of contractual obligations, including reporting, payments, and compliance.
- Identify important value drivers and key risks, recommending potential paths forward.
- Seek opportunities to extend business relationships by expanding existing partnerships or creating additional collaborations.
- BA/BS required; MBA plus graduate degree in scientific / medical discipline (Ph.D. or M.D.) strongly preferred.
- 7+ years biopharmaceutical experience; candidates with industry, as well as relevant investment banking and consulting backgrounds, will be considered.
- High energy individual with a positive “nothing is impossible” attitude.
- Ability to work in a hands-on collaborative fashion with many different disciplines both inside and outside of the company.
- Experience in alliance management for pre-clinical and/or clinical stage programs, preferably within the context of a global research and co-development partnership.
- Experience in business development and licensing, particularly in contract negotiation and follow-on deal making (deal sheet to be provided).
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to perform complex financial calculations such as NPV and product forecasting.
- Experience with commercial and scientific assessment of new product opportunities.
- Experience with contract evaluation and negotiation preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication/presentation skills for internal and external audiences (including MS Word and PowerPoint).