Beam Therapeutics is seeking a highly talented and motivated Head of Chemistry with expertise in oligo synthesis, nucleic acids and lipid chemistry. The suitable candidate should be an expert in synthesis, analytics and characterization of oligonucleotides, mRNA and DNA. A strong understanding and relevant experience in novel lipid chemistry is highly desirable. The candidate should also have a good understanding of testing, scale-up and cGMP manufacturing of nucleic acid drugs and novel lipids. The candidate will also lead the development, evaluation and characterization of novel Lipids with a dedicated team of scientists. Previous experience in evaluation of lipids and nucleic acids is preferred. The ideal candidate will also work closely with the non-viral delivery group and should have a good understanding of the mechanistic barriers to in vivo delivery of large mRNA cargo and areas of opportunities to further improve their safety, potency, and manufacturing.
- Oversee a team of scientists and evaluate novel lipids and nucleic acid chemistry
- Provide technical guidance to improve the potency and safety of Lipid based delivery systems through composition and process optimization
- Work cross-functionally to advance characterization of lipid based delivery systems including structure-activity relationships
- Lead process development and scale-up of nucleic acids, oligos and lipids
- Provide delivery-related support to platform and therapeutic programs
- Analyze, interpret, and present data to internal and external audience using various formats including lab notebooks and meeting presentations
- PhD in Chemistry or related area with 10 to 12 years’ experience or MS degree with 15 years relevant experience in a Pharmaceutical organization leading a group of chemists
- Previous experience with nucleic acid and lipid chemistry
- Good understanding of cGMP manufacturing guidelines
- Prior experience with gene editing systems including CRSPR-cas9 is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of biophysical characterization techniques including DLS, NTA, HPLC, CE, DSC, EM, et al.
- Proven Leadership
- Good communication skills.
- Strong work ethic.