Beam Therapeutics is seeking a highly talented Scientific Director with expertise in non-viral delivery of nucleic acid drugs and nanoparticle formulations. The suitable candidate will have a good understanding of lipid chemistry, nanoparticle formulations including testing, scale-up and cGMP manufacturing. The candidate will lead the development, evaluation and process optimization of Lipid Nanoparticle (LNP) formulations with a dedicated team of scientists. Previous experience in development of nanoparticle delivery systems is a must. The ideal candidate should have good understanding of the mechanistic barriers to in vivo delivery of large mRNA cargo and areas of opportunities to further improve their safety, potency, and manufacturing.
- Oversee a team of scientists and execute studies to evaluate various LNP formulations for in vivo base editing in animal models
- Provide technical guidance to improve the potency and safety of LNPs through composition and process optimization
- Work cross-functionally to advance characterization of LNPs including structure-activity relationships
- Lead process development and scale-up
- Provide delivery-related support to platform and therapeutic programs
- Analyze, interpret, and present data to internal and external audience using various formats including lab notebooks and meeting presentations
- PhD degree and 10 to 12 years’ experience or MS degree with 15 years relevant experience in a Pharmaceutical organization
- Previous experience with nanoparticle drug delivery systems and nucleic acids is a must
- Good understanding of cGMP manufacturing guidelines
- Prior experience with gene editing systems including CRSPR-cas9 is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of biophysical characterization techniques including DLS, NTA, HPLC, CE, DSC, EM, et al.
- Proven Leadership
- Good communication skills.
- Strong work ethic.