Beam is seeking an attorney to join Beam’s growing legal team. The attorney will help support Beam’s therapeutic programs, contribute to global patent preparation & prosecution strategy, and help build the company’s intellectual property portfolio. In addition, he or she will provide legal support to research and business teams as needed. The successful candidate should have meaningful patent drafting and prosecution experience in gene editing technologies and/or cell therapy.
- Identify patentable inventions through regular interactions with internal R&D project teams and collaborators, including evaluating inventions, conducting prior art searches, and generating and executing on corresponding patent protection strategies.
- Draft and review patent applications.
- Manage outside counsel on patent prosecution and maintenance.
- Monitor and analyze competitive intellectual property; perform freedom-to-operate and IP landscape searches.
- Review proposed publications and presentations for potential impact on IP positions.
- Educate and advise colleagues on IP processes and issues.
- Draft and negotiate license agreements, material transfer agreements, and collaboration agreements.
- Provide legal advice and support for alliances and partnerships.
- JD with admission to at least one state bar.
- PhD in molecular biology, cell biology, or related discipline is preferred; BS/MS with significant work experience in gene engineering and/or cell therapy will also be considered.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- 3-5 years of experience in drafting and prosecuting pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology patents for a law firm or corporate law department.
- Capable of recognizing, assessing, and responding to urgent matters with timely, practical, and clear solutions.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and independently.
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.