Beam Therapeutics is seeking an innovative, collaborative and accomplished chemical biologist to support the discovery and optimization of our novel base editors. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience of mammalian cell culture and transfection, high-throughput DNA and RNA sequencing and molecular cloning.
- Using high-throughput sequencing and cellular assays to characterize the activities of different base editor proteins. Perform molecular evolution or structure-guided design to improve and expand the capabilities of base editors. Examples of techniques that will be used include but are not limited to:
- Mammalian cell culture, including transfection and nucleofection of different cell types.
- DNA and RNA harvesting and high-throughput sequencing, predominantly Illumina sequencing.
- Midi-prepping plasmids to generate transfection-grade material.
- USER (and other approaches) cloning to generate large and sometimes repetitive constructs.
- Generation of competent cells.
- Analyze and process high-throughput sequencing of base editing in mammalian cells and design increased stringency into selection plasmids to select for desired outcomes.
- BS or MS (preferred) in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Biology, Synthetic Biology, Molecular Biology or equivalent and a minimum of two years of experience in protein engineering via molecular evolution.
- Familiarity with plasmid mechanics (g. synthetic RBS modulation, promoter selection, etc.) and cloning strategies.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced team environment.
- Familiarity with high-throughput sequencing and a variety of library generation methods.
- Experience with culturing and transfecting mammalian cells.
- Experience with CRISPR/Cas9 proteins is ideal but not essential.
- Strong scientific background with proven high levels of performance.
- Familiar with DNA analysis software (e.g. Geneious, Vector NTI, Primer 3).
- Proficiency in molecular biology applications, including primer design, cloning (Gibson, USER, restriction), NGS sample preparation, DNA/RNA purification, and quantification methods such as qPCR and RNA-seq.
- Proficient in the use of programs like MS Excel & PowerPoint and GraphPad Prism for data entry, analysis, visualization and presentation.
- Excellent written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to teams with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Attention to detail, critical data analysis capabilities, and strong problem-solving skills are required.