Beam seeks an experienced scientist to help us advance our hematology programs, including precision engineering of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells for the treatment of rare blood cell disorders. The ideal candidate will support our in vitro and in vivo efforts developing next-generation base editing technologies and will be a self-motivated, technically competent research associate that is energized to join a small, fast-growing biotech.
- Primary/stem cell (human CD34+, iPSC) isolation/purification, culture and functional characterization.
- Assist in designing, planning, and executing editing experiments with primary/stem cells (CD34+, iPSC).
- Cellular staining and multicolor flow cytometry (analytic and sorting).
- Design and clone expression vectors.
- Design and run DNA/RNA purification and quantification assays (qPCR, ddPCR and RNA-seq).
- Assist in the design, planning, and execution of in vivo engraftment studies.
- BA/BS in biological science or related discipline, MS is preferred.
- Proven expertise in primary or stem cell culture [pluripotent stem cell or hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell (HSPC) experience a plus].
- Experience in HSPC-relevant experimental techniques, including both in vitro cellular assays and in vivo transplant models is highly desirable.
- Proficiency in molecular biology applications, including primer design, cloning (Gibson, USER, restriction), NGS sample preparation, DNA/RNA purification, and quantification methods such as qPCR, ddPCR or RNA-seq.
- Good understanding of gene editing tools and principles (ZFN, TALEN, CRISPR, or DNA base editors). Previous experience in gene editing is preferable but not required.
- Solid foundation in multi-color flow cytometry and cell sorting.
- Experience with in vivo mouse models and/or willingness to learn is advantageous.
- Familiar with DNA analysis software (e.g. Geneious, Vector NTI, Primer 3).
- Proficient in the use of programs like MS Excel & PowerPoint and GraphPad Prism for data entry, analysis, visualization and presentation.
- Excellent written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to teams with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Ability to work efficiently as a member of a highly collaborative, cross-functional team in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Attention to detail, critical data analysis capabilities, and strong problem-solving skills are required.