Beam is looking for a highly motivated and creative Scientist with expertise in the cell and gene therapy space to help us advance our hematology programs through the use of precision engineering of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells (HSPC). This position will be instrumental in developing and utilizing biologically relevant assays and model systems to advance our editing programs. The ideal candidate will support our in vitro and in vivo efforts developing next-generation base editing technologies and will have extensive experience in stem cell biology.
- Optimizing editing efficiencies in primary human stem cells and model lines.
- Generation of editing reagents using Gibson, USER assembly or other relevant cloning strategies.
- Working with the off-target team to characterize editing profiles using GUIDE-seq, Digenome-seq, CIRCLE-seq or other approaches.
- Profile gene expression signatures in bulk or single cell populations using qPCR, ddPCR and RNA-seq.
- Primary/stem cell (human CD34+, iPSC) culture, differentiation and functional characterization.
- Work with a cross-disciplinary team to optimize hematopoietic editing and cell culture approaches.
- Communicate scientifically rigorous findings via verbal and written communications, visualizations, and presentations.
- PhD in biological science or related discipline.
- Proven expertise in primary or stem cell culture [iPSC or HSPC experience a plus].
- Strong scientific background and publication record with proven high levels of performance.
- Experience in hematopoietic stem cell or CAR-T relevant experimental techniques, including both in vitro cellular assays and in vivo transplant models is highly desirable.
- Good understanding of gene editing tools and principles (ZFN, TALEN, CRISPR, or DNA base editors). Previous experience optimizing CRISPR/Cas9-based gene editing is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience identifying off-target sites using GUIDE-seq, Digenome-seq, CIRCLE-seq or other is a plus.
- Experience working with mRNA is preferred.
- Transcriptome analysis experience – bulk or single cell RNA-seq – is a plus.
- Excellent written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to teams with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently while also building relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to adapt to increasing scope and complexity of work brought on by growth/change and helps others manage through change.