We are seeking a highly skilled and innovative scientist to join our core structural biology unit that supports the development and engineering of novel gene editing proteins. The candidate should have a broad knowledge of protein biochemistry and experience in cryo-electron microscopy
- Design and execute cryo-EM projects from protein characterization and complex purification, negative stain, cryo-EM grid preparation, managing cryo-EM data collection (through external facilities), structure determination and refinement of novel gene editing proteins without extensive supervision
- Earlier stage work including cloning, expression and purification of recombinant target proteins is carried out by other scientists but may remain involved if structural biology-specific need arises
- Closely collaborate with the platform scientists to drive the timely hypothesis-to-test cycle for the discovery and optimization of novel editor variants
- Contribute in protein engineering and construct optimization by providing structural biology input
- Communicate scientifically rigorous structural findings via verbal and written communications, visualizations, and presentations, mainly to non-structural biologists
- A Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, or equivalent, and a minimum of two years of experience with all aspects of cryo-EM with related publications
- Macromolecular X-ray crystallography experience is not a must but will be a significant plus.
- Experience in molecular biology techniques, protein purification, and protein engineering
- Aptitude with detailed structural analyses and integration of structural observations into subsequent construct engineering and optimization
- Experience with gene editing proteins (e.g. CRISPR/Cas9) will be a significant advantage
- Ability to work independently while also building relationships with colleagues
- Ability to adapt to increasing scope and complexity of work brought on by growth/change
- Supervisory experience
Beam Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.