As the Senior Manager or Associate Director of Business Development, you will help drive Beam’s business development and alliance management activities, as well as support strategy, new product planning, and public relations functions. This is an excellent opportunity for a driven individual looking for a broad-based experience in a fast-paced, dynamic, biotech start-up environment. This versatile and highly motivated individual will wear many hats and will have the capacity to drive numerous projects forward simultaneously. You will work in close collaboration with the management team and scientists to ensure that emerging options for our programs are based on solid scientific foundations, accurate feasibility assessments, and grounded in realistic, corporate-aligned goals.
- Coordinate with Beam scientists, legal and administrative staff, and external legal firms to manage workflow in delivering academic/industry collaborations (SRAs, MSAs, MTAs, CDAs, etc.).
- Manage non-standard contracts including consulting agreements with scientific/medical advisors, and agreements with manufacturers and other vendors.
- Organize and project manage the search & evaluation process, including leading due diligence processes with internal and external input to support timely and effective transaction decisions
- Support partnering activities, including contributing to the preparation of pitch decks, term sheets, and other materials as needed to support negotiations and diligence activities.
- Provide analytic support by conducting product/market forecasts, NPV valuations, and other financial analyses as needed in support of R&D and corporate business decisions.
- Work directly with BD and AM counterparts at other companies to facilitate the partnering process and build relationships with current and future partners
- In conjunction with IP/legal/finance leadership at Beam, manage fulfillment of contractual obligations, including reporting, payments, and compliance.
- BA/BS required; MBA plus graduate degree in scientific / medical discipline (Ph.D. or M.D.) strongly preferred.
- 5+ years biopharmaceutical experience; candidates with industry, as well as relevant investment banking and consulting backgrounds, will be considered.
- High energy individual with a positive “nothing is impossible” attitude.
- Ability to work in a hands-on collaborative fashion with many different disciplines both inside and outside of the company.
- Strong knowledge of biotechnology industry, drug discovery and development process.
- Ability to work independently in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to perform complex financial calculations such as NPV and product forecasting.
- Experience with commercial and scientific assessment of new product opportunities.
- Experience with contract evaluation and negotiation preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication/presentation skills for internal and external audiences (including MS Word and PowerPoint).