Beam is seeking a highly motivated Scientist with experience in oligonucleotides downstream production who is passionate about enabling the translation of cutting-edge research technologies into therapeutic applications. The successful candidate will assist in process development of novel approaches to synthesize and manufacture synthetic RNA for CRISPR/Cas gene editing. The ideal candidate for this role is detail-oriented, persistent, and has an innovative mindset toward solving technical challenges.
- Develop and evaluate processes for the synthesis, purification, and analysis of synthetic RNAs.
- Evaluate new approaches and provide technical guidance on optimal downstream conditions to produce synthetic RNAs.
- Establish chromatographic processes to purify RNA to be used in R&D and pre-clinical manufacturing.
- Interface with Analytical Sciences, Process Development, Delivery, Pharmacology, Platform and Disease program teams.
- Author, review, and approve protocols, SOPs, technical documents, and reports for RNA chemistry lab.
- Independently plan and execute experiments, perform data analysis and interpretation.
- Deliver reproducible and impactful results in a fast-paced environment.
- Understand the landscape of clinical and process materials, liaise with vendors, and maintain appropriate inventory.
- Maintain thorough electronic lab notebooks and documentation records, and present findings to multi-disciplinary teams in various oral and written formats.
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures, assist in maintaining general laboratory functionality, including lab equipment maintenance and the ordering, and receiving of lab supplies.
- Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related fields with 0-2 years of relevant industry experience, or M.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related fields with 8+ years industry experience.
- Experience purifying (anion exchange, reversed phase, size exclusion chromatography and TFF) oligonucleotides.
- Experience purifying biomolecules on an AKTA chrom system is a plus.
- Experience and/or working understanding of common techniques used to analyze oligonucleotides, such as HPLC/UPLC, UV/Fluor, CD and LC-MS.
- Strong knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry, nucleic acid structure-activity relationships and safety profiles is desirable.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to present effectively to others with diverse scientific backgrounds.
- Desire to embrace challenges of developing novel technologies and work flexibly in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.