Beam is seeking a motivated individual to join our off-target assay group. The successful applicant will have a strong scientific background and proven accomplishments in NGS assays with a passion for genome editing. Candidates should be highly self-motivated with the ability to excel in a fast-moving and goal-oriented environment.
- Lead the development, design, and execution of assays to assess the genome-modifying potential of base editors
- Support off-target editing risk assessment for different projects.
- Next-generation sequencing (NGS) library preparation and sequencing.
- Maintain detailed documentation of experiments in ELN system. Write, review, and/or approve Off-Target Biology reports supporting regulatory dossiers
- Coordinate and work with other teams at Beam in a highly matrixed environment.
- Data analysis to visualize outcomes of genome editing.
- Support the development of the automated off-target assay platform for identification and validation of lead candidates
- Work with a cross-disciplinary team to identify and test lead candidates for high efficiency and specificity
- Manage direct reports. Lead, mentor, and provide scientific oversight to direct reports
- Contribute to the Off-Target regulatory strategy for development candidates
- PhD in a molecular biology, genetics or other relevant field with additional minimum 6 years relevant experience or Bachelors/Masters degree with minimum 12 years relevant experience.
- Industry experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated mastery of NGS including DNA/RNA sequencing library preparation and quantification, familiarity with Illumina sequencing platforms e.g. Miseq, and extensive experience in molecular biology and cell biology (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, ddPCR, cell culture and transfection).
- Experience with assay development is preferred.
- Experience with managing a research and development group
- Knowledge of genomics, gene editing tools and principles is preferred.
- Experience with basic sequencing data analysis is preferred but not required.
- Excellent troubleshooting and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail and ability to work independently and collaboratively are required.