Beam is seeking an experienced and well-qualified patent attorney to join Beam’s growing legal team. The attorney will help support Beam’s therapeutic programs, will provide legal support to research and business teams, contribute to global patent preparation & prosecution strategy, and help build the company's intellectual property portfolio. The successful candidate should have meaningful patent drafting and prosecution experience and licensing experience.
- Identify patentable inventions through regular interactions with internal R&D project teams and collaborators, including evaluating inventions, conducting prior art searches, drafting and reviewing patent applications, and executing on corresponding patent protection strategies.
- Provide legal advice and support for license and collaboration agreements.
- Provide legal advice and support for alliances and partnerships.
- Manage outside counsel on patent prosecution and maintenance.
- Monitor and analyze competitive intellectual property; perform freedom-to-operate and IP landscape searches.
- Educate and advise colleagues on IP processes and issues.
- JD with admission to at least one state bar.
- PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, structural biology, or related discipline with significant work experience in gene editing and/or cell therapy.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- 7+ years of experience in drafting and prosecuting pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology patents for a law firm or corporate law department.
- Significant licensing experience.
- Capable of recognizing, assessing, and responding to urgent matters with timely, practical, and clear solutions.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and independently.
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.